Implicit Bias, Diversity and the Legal Profession
We live in a dramatically transforming world, where the demographics of our population are more diverse than ever before. Meanwhile, our legal profession has continually lagged behind the diversity of our country. As our nation permanently changes, we need to ask ourselves how our legal workplaces will change as well, and what challenges we face to having true inclusion in the workplace.
This interactive two-part course features a panel of experts accompanied by interactive scenarios focused on the meaning of diversity, how implicit bias results in a lack of diversity in our profession, and strategies to counter implicit bias in our personal and professional lives.
- The Implicit Association Test
- Neutralizing Implicit Biases by Dr. Arin Reeves
- Verna Myers TEDTalk on Implicit Bias
- NALP 2017 Diversity Report
- Strategies to Interrupt Bias
- Course Faculty Biographies
- 2Civility Blog Posts: Lawyer Diversity: The Future is Now; What Kids Can Teach Lawyers about Diversity and Representation; To My Daughters 20 Years from Now: Your Diverse World
Approved for 1.0 Hours Diversity and Inclusion CLE Credit in Illinois
(Part 1 = 0.5 hours + Part 2 = 0.5)
Thank you to our expert panelists for contributing their time and perspectives to this course. Thank you also to those who helped us with the design and review of the course, including the Illinois ARDC, the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, the Commission’s Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board and CLE Advisory Group, and the many lawyers who continue to work tirelessly to advance the cause of diversity and professionalism.