In this episode of Reimagining Law, we talk to Melanie Leonard, Esq., founder of streamlined.legal, and Bryan Sims, an attorney at Sims Law Firm, Ltd. Melanie and Bryan discuss how COVID-19 has changed the way attorneys work, simple ways lawyers can increase internal efficiencies, and technology tools for even the most technology-averse attorney.
Subscribe to our channel to stay up to date on new episodes of Reimagining Law!
- 1:18 – How has COVID-19 changed the way attorneys work? What’s working and what isn’t?
- 3:18 – How can attorneys embrace technology, especially during the pandemic?
- 5:02 – What simple steps can lawyers take now to increase internal efficiencies in the office?
- 6:27 – What simple technology tools can even the most technology-averse attorneys implement today to work smarter?
- 8:50 – How can we improve the billing process? Are alternative billing solutions part of the process?
- 12:20 – How can attorneys invest in their firms to make a better product?
- Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose
- Data Security: You Can Do More Than You Think
- Reimagining Law: Miranda Soucie, Spiros Law, and Trent Bush, Ward, Murray, Pace & Johnson
Melanie Leonard, Esq
As a young lawyer working in large law firms in downtown Chicago, Melanie Leonard was horrified by the stacks of paper that coated the desks of her colleagues. In 2006, Melanie started her own firm, driven by a single guiding principle: No Paper Allowed.
To achieve that lofty goal, she searched for a cloud-based practice management software up to the task. In 2008, Melanie discovered the newly launched Clio and became one of the first lawyers to deeply integrate the software into every facet of her firm.
Over the next 10 years, Melanie built a thriving real estate law practice and successfully kept her desk free of paper. She then sold that practice in 2018 and began streamlined.legal where she now helps other small law firms create efficiency in their daily workflows and optimize their use of practice management software.
Connect with Melanie
- Website: https://streamlined.legal/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bestreamlined
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/streamlined.legal
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/streamlined-legal/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpGa34ZypnIFcN4BAuseLtQ
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/streamlined.legal/
Bryan Sims is the founder and principal of Sims Law Firm, Ltd., where he concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation and civil appeals. Before entering private practice, he clerked for Illinois Supreme Court Justice S. Louis Rathje. His office is as paperless as a law office can be. He frequently speaks on the intersection of law and technology.
Connect with Bryan
About Reimagining Law
The Reimagining Law video series explores how legal and judicial professionals are adapting the delivery of services to meet the unique needs of today’s consumers. Reimagining Law is produced by the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism. This episode was recorded on October 1, 2020.
Check out more episodes of Reimagining Law here.