As lawyers, we live by deadlines and an important summer deadline is quickly approaching. Before panic sets in, take a deep breath. This is a positive deadline. Summer is not over yet, so you still have time to recharge and, dare I say, have some fun.
While summer does not end until September 23, the days are already getting shorter. Who else noticed it this week? It is darker when I get up and I cringed when the weather person said we have seen this year’s last sunset past 8 p.m. So, it is time to stop procrastinating on your summer deadline.
Why do you need a deadline? Because summer is synonymous with rest and relaxation, which is not easy for most of us in the legal profession. But, as the Commission’s resident well-being blogger, I am here to enforce the summer deadline for us all.
If you are reading this and thinking, “I want to have fun this summer but do not know where to start,” you are in luck! The Commission has done the work for you. Below is a list of ways you can enjoy the rest of summer throughout the great state of Illinois.
Now lawyers, let’s go and tackle this summer deadline!
How to enjoy summer no matter where you are
It doesn’t matter where you live in Illinois, there are countless ways for lawyers to meet this summer deadline. Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Enjoy outdoor patio dining at your favorite restaurant
- Read that book you have been meaning to read all year
- Wake up an hour earlier and take advantage of the morning quiet
- Run or walk a 5K (Race Judicata is right around the corner on August 31)
- Shop at your local farmers’ market
- Visit historical state sites and national sites in Illinois
- Cheer on your favorite local sports teams
- Take in a local art or book fair
- Get a ClassPass membership and try new exercise classes
- Visit local or state parks, the nature conservatory, botanical gardens, or bodies of water
- Have fun at a festival
- Break your routine and plan a weekend getaway
State and County Fairs
Summer and fairs go together. Here are a couple of upcoming fairs to check out:
The northern part of the state has several activities to help you meet your summer deadline.
- Air and Water Show – August 19-20
- Music at Ravinia
- Free museum days
- Anderson Japanese Gardens
- Bristol Renaissance Faire
- Weekly fireworks at Navy Pier
The middle of the state does not disappoint with ways to enjoy summer.
- Ignite Peoria – August 12
- Concert in Lakeview Park – August 18, Peoria
- Hoopskirt and Haber-dash 5K Fun Run – August 26, Springfield
- 2023 Cardboard Boats Regatta – September 3, Springfield
- Illinois State Museum
Southern Illinois has many options to help lawyers meet their summer deadline.
- Cobden Peach Festival – August 11-12
- Centralia Balloon Fest – August 18-20
- Mount Vernon Thursday Night Live – Thursdays through August 31 at Cedarhurst Center for the Arts
- Other events in Southern Illinois
I know taking time away from work and client demands can be difficult. However, it is exactly because we are so busy and stressed out that this deadline needs to be prioritized. The time is now.
Tell us what we missed. Add your ideas to meet the summer deadline in the comments below.
Staying up to date on issues impacting the legal profession is vital to your success. Subscribe here to get the Commission’s weekly news delivered to your inbox.