In this episode of Reimagining Law, we talk to Judge Alicia Washington of the Tenth Judicial Circuit in Peoria, Illinois. Judge Washington discusses how the Tenth is delivering remote appearances and hearings, what leaders should consider before reopening courthouses, and how COVID-19 could transform court services in the future.
Subscribe to our channel to stay up to date on new episodes of Reimagining Law!
- 0:49 – How essential court services are being delivered in the Tenth Judicial Circuit (Peoria County)?
- 2:09 – How is Peoria County administering remote hearings and appearances?
- 3:20 – What’s most challenging about delivering justice remotely in high-volume courtrooms?
- 3:47 – How are court users and the general public getting information?
- 4:29 – What should be considered before reopening the courthouses to the public?
- 5:29 – How Judge Washington has been planning to reopen her courtroom
- 6:51 – How Judge Washington is enforcing social distancing in the courtroom.
- 7:39 – How will COVID-19 transform court services in the future?
- 8:52 – Judge Washington shares her parting thoughts.
- How the Illinois Judicial Branch Has Prepared for a Pandemic
- Defining Incivility in a Pandemic
- Illinois Supreme Court Issues Reopening Guidelines
Judge Alicia N. Washington
Judge Alicia N. Washington has served on the Tenth Judicial Circuit since January 2016 where she presides in Traffic Court at the Peoria County Courthouse. Prior to her appointment as an associate judge, Judge Washington was a civil attorney at Janssen Law Center where she handled personal injury cases and worker’s compensation claims. She is also a Commissioner for the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism.
Tenth Judicial Circuit’s website: https://10thcircuitcourtil.org/
About Reimagining Law
The Reimagining Law video series explores how legal and judicial professionals are adapting the delivery of services to meet the unique needs of today’s consumers. The first episodes will focus on the ways that attorneys and judges are continuing to deliver justice amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Reimagining Law is produced by the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism. This episode was recorded on April 28, 2020.
Staying up to date on issues impacting the legal profession is vital to your success. Subscribe here to get the Commission’s weekly news delivered to your inbox or follow our YouTube channel to be notified when a new Reimagining Law video is posted.