Each year on May 1st, the legal profession gathers together to celebrate Law Day. For 60 years, lawyers, judges, justices, and other legal professionals in the United States have recognized Law Day as the official day to honor the rule of law.
This Law Day in 2018, practitioners, legal employers, and bar organizations across the country will host events and initiatives to celebrate the role of law in our society and generate awareness and transparency regarding the legal profession.
Each year, the American Bar Association selects a theme dedicated to a different aspect of our nation’s government. This year will recognize the importance of the separation of powers.
In light of the upcoming holiday, several Illinois bar associations are celebrating Law Day in 2018. Our team at the Commission on Professionalism compiled a running list of upcoming events and activities available to both lawyers and the public in honor of Law Day in 2018. We hope you will consider participating in at least one of them and help us spread the word.
April 19, 2018
- Peoria County Bar Association – Law Day Luncheon
- 11:45am – 1:00pm
- Join members of the Peoria County Bar Association for their annual luncheon to celebrate Law Day in 2018 at the Spalding Pastoral Center. Former Congressman and U.S. Transportation Secretary, Ray LaHood will be the keynote speaker.
April 27, 2018
- Lake County Bar Association – Law Day in the Classroom
- 9:00am to 1:00pm
- This year on Law Day, Judges of Lake County, the State’s Attorney’s Office, the Sheriff’s Department, and the Coroner’s Office will present law-related educational programming to Lake County High School students. Students will attend 40-minute assemblies, including a CSI task force presentation, a Sentencing, and an improved session on Social Media, Suspect Interrogation, a visit to the Coroner’s facility, and a Jail Tour.
April 28, 2018
- Clair County Bar Association – Law Day Run
- 9:00am – 12:00pm
- The 17th Annual Law Day Run raises money for the Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, Inc., and other legal aid organizations that provide civil legal services to low income and senior residents of central and southern Illinois.
- Illinois State Bar Association – Ask-A-Lawyer Day
- 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Have a legal question and don’t know where to turn? Phone a friend – or in this case a lawyer for free legal advice. Volunteer lawyers will provide general information about consumer problems, family law, estate planning, personal injury, and other common legal matters. Anyone can call toll-free to speak to an attorney. Those interested may also email their legal questions that morning.
May 3, 2018
- DuPage County Bar Association – Law Day Luncheon
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Join members of the DuPage County Bar Association for their annual luncheon to celebrate Law Day in 2018. Each year, the Liberty Bell award and Legal Assistance Pro Bono awards are presented at this luncheon. Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas will be this year’s keynote speaker.
- Chicago Bar Association – Meet the Judges Reception
- 5:00pm – 7:00pm
- This year on Law Day in 2019, The Chicago Bar’s YLS is hosting a meet and greet with judges from the Illinois Appellate Court, Federal Court and Circuit Court of Cook County.
May 4, 2018
- Law Day Public Celebration
- 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- Head to the Richard J. Daley Center to hear members of the Chicago legal community will give personal reflections on the Law Week theme, Separation of Powers: Framework for Freedom. The Chicago Bar Association’s Barristers Big Band will also perform musical selections.
Know of other upcoming events celebrating Law Day in 2018? Let us know in the comments below.