Sonni C. Williams, Deputy Corporation Counsel for the city of Peoria, is the recipient the 2015 Illinois State Bar Association Diversity Leadership Award. This is not the first time that Sonni Williams has been recognized for her service and contribution to the Illinois legal community. In 2010, she was awarded the ISBA Board of Governors Award that recognizes lawyers for exemplary service to the profession and the ISBA.
The Diversity Leadership Award recognizes long standing, continuing and exceptional commitment by an individual or an organization to the critical importance of diversity within the Illinois legal community, its judiciary and within the Illinois State Bar Association.
Sonni’s passion, dedication, and work on promoting diversity are encompassed in the following list of initiatives and services:
- Current member of th Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism since 2006 and its newly formed Diversity Committee
- Current member of the Peoria County Bar Association’s Diversity Committee since 2004, past chair: 2005-2007
- ISBA Diversity Leadership Council, 2009- 2011
- ISBA Task Force on Diversity, 2007-2008
- Past chair, ISBA Standing Committee on Racial and Ethnic Minorities and the Law, 2009-2010
- Past member of the City of Peoria Race Relations Commission, 2008
- Past chair, PCBA Standing Committee on Mentoring, 2012-2013
- Co-chair for the PCBA professionalism seminar, “Expand Your Awareness and Improve Your Business” on diversity sensitivity awareness, 2013
- Facilitator for the PCBA professionalism seminar on “Raising the Bar Through Diversity” in 2010
- Coordinator and co-presenter for the ISBA program, “Seek Power! A Law Student’s Guide to Authentic Self Promotion” in 2010
- Presenter before the Winnebago County Bar Association on“Diversity Issues Facing the Legal Profession Today” in 2009
- Facilitator for the PCBA seminar, “Professionalism in Your Diverse Office: Fostering the Good Start” in 2009
- Presenter for the PCBA ethics seminar, “Maximizing Marketability Through Diversity” in 2007
- Coordinator and co-presenter for the ISBA program, “Changing the Face of the ISBA: Tips on Running for Offices in the ISBA” in 2007
Read more about Sonni Williams and the diversity leadership award in the Illinois State Bar Association Diversity Matters newsletter.