The civil legal needs of roughly 80% of low-income and 60-70% of middle-income people are not being met. Access to justice is problematic in all 50 states, even Illinois. However, one organization is going above and beyond to combat these concerns and provide support to those in need.
For 15 years, Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) has been using technology to educate and inform lawyers, legal aid providers, and the public about access to justice. Every day they connect people with free and inexpensive legal services through the creation of their legal “self-help” centers, which assist users in resolving their legal problems via instant messaging software and in person meet-up locations. ILAO has even created interactive eLearning platforms for pro bono attorneys to use.
In honor of their 15-year anniversary, Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner has declared March 8, 2016 “Illinois Legal Aid Online Day” in the state of Illinois.
To celebrate, ILAO is hosting a number of events on March 8:
- Free MCLE – Emails and Clouds and #Hashtags, Oh My!
- March 8, 2016 from 3-5pm
- The program will be hosted by Neal Gerber & Eisenberg LLP at 2 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago on the 17th floor.
- Registration is Free.
- Happy Birthday Happy Hour
- March 8, 2016 from 5:30-7:30pm
- The event will be held following the MCLE at Elephant & Castle at 111. W. Adams Street in Chicago.
- Tickets are $30 in advance, which cover one drink ticket and appetizers.
You can also celebrate the Illinois Legal Aid Online Day by participating in the $15 for Our 15th Campaign or by using the “#ILAODay” hashtag to share support and follow the conversation.
For more information surrounding events on Illinois Legal Aid Online Day, please visit this link.