The Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism offers a dynamic, thought-provoking, creative environment for expanding careers and professional interests. We seek wise, team-oriented professionals who will advance our mission. The Commission promotes civility, inclusiveness and greater efficacy in the legal and judicial systems of Illinois.
The Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism seeks a full-time Communications Director to support its mission of increasing civility, integrity, and professionalism among attorneys and judges in Illinois. The position is located at the Commission’s offices at Two Prudential Plaza, 180 N. Stetson Ave., Suite 1950, Chicago, IL, 60601.
The Communications Director, a new position, will be responsible for communicating the Commission’s vision and change management strategies to inspire and enable the legal and judicial systems to better serve the public. The Communications Director should be a team player with a passion for thriving in a complex, ever-evolving start-up environment.
The Communications Director will need well-developed leadership and management skills to effectively collaborate with Commission staff as well as outside stakeholders, including members of the media, vendors, commissioners, judges and others, in order to lead the communications and social media strategy for the Commission on Professionalism’s publications (blog, e-newsletters, press releases, annual report, etc.), educational and mentoring programs, as well as the Commission’s annual The Future Is Now Conference.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define and manage the strategy for an integrated marketing, communication, and engagement plan to elevate awareness of the Commission’s thought leadership, including expertise in key thematic areas (i.e., future law, civility, professionalism, legal technology, diversity and inclusion, wellness, leadership and education)
- Plan and execute blog and digital marketing campaigns to promote the Commission’s calendar of events, organizational mission, and subject matter areas of expertise
- Take ownership of the 2Civility brand to ensure the Commission’s vision is understood and clearly disseminated to the right audiences through the best distribution channels, in and outside of the legal profession
- Drive the communications and media strategy for key Commission events and education programs, including the annual The Future Is Now Conference
- Manage workflow and oversee development and production of marketing collateral with external vendors and agency partners
- Manage relevant communications budgets, ensuring proper planning and reporting against regular forecasts
- Oversee media relations, press releases, and other public announcements
- Position and train lawyer staff in its areas of subject matter expertise for critical speaking engagements, interviews, and commentary in relation to organizational goals
- Maintain current relationships with legal and local media, and cultivate new external media contacts in and outside of the legal profession
- Grow the Commission’s social media presence amongst the Illinois and national legal communities
- Develop and direct our social network messaging and social content across all of the Commission’s platforms to ensure it meets strategic goals
- Provide insights and recommendations for social media strategies, bringing your knowledge of the newest trends and technologies to the table
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Business or related disciplines required.
- JD / LLM / legal experience and other background in government, political, association, or non-profit organization is a plus.
- 7+ years of Public Relations, Communications, Email and Social Media Marketing experience.
- 7+ years of content marketing, technical writing, proofreading, and editing experience.
- Senior-level experience developing communication strategy and related plans; demonstrated ability to achieve established goals and business objectives as a result.
- Excellent strategic public relations experience and a proven track record of driving public relations campaigns and generating positive coverage that builds organizational reputation.
- Proven ability to counsel and advise executive and senior leaders in complex environment on effective strategic communication best practices and approaches.
- In-depth understanding and sophisticated grasp of the earned, owned and social media landscape and demonstrated ability to drive measurable outcomes.
- Experience managing creative agency resources to produce quality content, on-time, within budget, required.
- Experience in event planning and management preferred.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects in varying stages of completion. Comfortable in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment.
- Creative, collaborative, and detail-oriented; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the Commission will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran or disability status.
Send cover letter, resume, and writing samples to our Office Manager and CLE Coordinator – Lindsay Shaw .