The Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism offers a dynamic, thought-provoking, creative environment for expanding careers and professional interests. We seek wise, team-oriented professionals who will advance our mission. The Commission promotes civility, inclusiveness and greater efficacy in the legal and judicial systems of Illinois.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the Commission will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran or disability status.
Diversity and Education Director
The Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism seeks a full-time Diversity and Education Director to support its mission of increasing civility, integrity, and professionalism among attorneys and judges in Illinois. The position is located at the Commission’s offices at Two Prudential Plaza, 180 N. Stetson Ave., Suite 1950, Chicago, IL, 60601.
The Diversity and Education Director will be responsible for directing the Commission’s work on diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, while also expanding our role as thought leaders in professional development legal education. The Diversity and Education Director will have a demonstrated passion for improving the legal profession through diversity and inclusion initiatives and professional responsibility education. The Director also will have excellent written, oral and facilitation skills and a willingness to collaborate with Commission staff and outside stakeholders to further the Commission’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Diversity and Inclusion
- Collaborate with Illinois law schools to support and grow the Jumpstart preview and preparation program for diverse law students.
- Facilitate programming, offer support, research and write articles, and participate in online discussions to maintain status as a thought leader in diversity and inclusion.
- Collaborate with law firms, government agencies, law schools, bar associations, and other legal organizations to support diversity and inclusion programming.
- Serve as an expert resource for legal professionals seeking advice on diversity and inclusion best practices.
- Supervise the review, approval, and monitoring of professional responsibility CLE courses offered in Illinois.
- Collaborate with CLE providers, including designing and facilitating such professional responsibility courses throughout Illinois.
- Oversee the Law School Orientation program and collaborate with law school staff to develop and deliver other professionalism programming.
- Direct the Commission’s role as an accredited CLE provider, including developing high-quality CLE courses, producing reports on Commission-provided CLE courses and supervising the accreditation, roll-out, and follow-up of courses offered by the Commission.
Writing and Social Media
- Author blog posts and articles on issues affecting young lawyers, diverse lawyers, legal education, professional responsibility and the profession at large.
- Participate in social media platforms and grow social media presence and engagement, especially around topics of diversity, inclusion, and professional responsibility education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Relevant undergraduate, graduate, and/or legal education required.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience.
- Possess well-developed leadership, organizational and management skills and be a solid team player with a passion for thriving in a fast-paced, multi-tasked start-up environment.
- Experience with adult learning principles, multi-media learning, and instructional design a plus.
- Excellent public-speaking and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and use to measure and improve and expand outcomes.
- Creative, collaborative, and big picture thinker as well as detail-oriented; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Outreach on behalf of the Commission will involve some evenings and/or weekends and travel, primarily in Illinois.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the Commission will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran or disability status.
Send cover letter and resume to our Office Manager and CLE Coordinator – Lindsay Shaw. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.