Join us! The Future Is Now: Legal Services 2.017 conference, co-sponsored by the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, the American Bar Association Center for Innovation and the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Professionalism, will bring together lawyers and others in the law to discuss innovations in the delivery of legal services. Our aim is to foster learning, inspiration and conversations that matter.
When: Thursday May 18, 2017 | 10:00 am. to 3:30 pm.
Where: Art Institute Rubloff Auditorium | 230 S Columbus Drive Chicago IL 60603
New Normal of Legal Services
The ways in which legal services are delivered are evolving rapidly. Technology is providing new ways of communicating, collaborating, and organizing our work, highlighting the shortcomings of the traditional model that fail to meet the needs of a significant portion of society. Many people seek legal representation on friendlier terms – other than the typical in-person model. Alternatives are readily available, fueled in large part by advanced technology. In addition, those without JDs increasingly operate in the space that previously was the exclusive province of lawyers.
Clearly, there’s a new normal in our profession. To adapt and thrive, we need to think like true innovators. Many are in agreement that the more efficient delivery of legal services is a win-win for everyone – attorneys and clients alike. How we get there is the topic of this critical industry conference.
Defining the Path
During this essential and insightful forum, experts will present a series of compelling talks about where our profession is headed. Based on feedback from last year’s inaugural conference, this conference will have expanded opportunities for participants to question, comment, and react to the speakers’ talks. There is not a single path forward. We should be involved in innovative and alternative solutions that will be good for our lawyers, our clients, and society. Check out the talks from The Future Is Now: Legal Services 2.016
The Future Is Now brings together speakers from across the country. Lawyers, entrepreneurs, professors, gather on the stage to talk about alternative legal landscapes, justice through technology, preventative lawyering, blueprints for change, and more . We are excited to announce our speakers for 2017.
Talks and Town Hall Discussions
The thought-provoking TED-like talks include:
- Re-Defining a Lawyer’s Role Through Legal Check-ups, Preventative Lawyering and Legal Insurance Plan Nicolle Schippers, ARAG
- The Age of the Data-Driven Lawyer Jack Newton, CLIO
- The Legal Profession’s Last Mile Problem William “Bill” Henderson, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- The Myth of the Digital Native: Establishing Competence and Eliminating Tech Bias in the Modern Law Firm Darth Vaughn, Haight Brown & Bonesteel
- Immigration Legal Services 2.0: How To Go Where Your Clients Are Online Chase Hertel, Road to Status
- Capturing and Delivering the Ever-Elusive “Value” Josh Kubicki, Seyfarth Shaw
- Online Justice: What Can Technology Deliver? Ethan Katsh, National Center for Technology and Dispute Resolution
- Judging the Alternative Legal Landscape 10 Years Later Nicole Auerbach, Valorem Law Group
- Diversity is the Future of the Legal Workplace Dennis Garcia, Microsoft
Town hall discussions with the speakers are scheduled throughout the day. Participants will have ample opportunity to ask questions, react to, and make comments about the topics addressed in the speakers’ talks. The conversation will continue at breaks during the day and over lunch.
CLE and Registration
The conference is approved for 5.0 hours of professional responsibility CLE credit in Illinois.
The registration fee is $75 and includes a light breakfast, lunch and refreshments. We do not refund cancellations. We will accept substitutions.
Wondering about something that you cannot find on this page? Please email Lindsay Shaw or call her at 312.363.6210. She will be happy to answer your questions.