This Thursday, 1,874 candidates will take the attorney’s oath at five admission ceremonies across the state of Illinois. This year, five Illinois Supreme Court Justices will preside over the state’s Bar Admission ceremonies, along with special guests at each of the individual ceremonies.
Each year, aspiring lawyers who just have just passed the Illinois Bar Exam are admitted formally to practice law in the Land of Lincoln. To honor, the Illinois Bar’s newest members, the Illinois Supreme Court hosts several Bar Admissions Ceremonies throughout the entire state in early November and in early May after bar exam results are released.
This November, the following Illinois Supreme Court Justices will welcome the largest group of newly minted lawyers who passed the July bar exam.
- Justice Anne M. Burke and Justice Mary Jane Theis will preside over the First Judicial District ceremony. They will speak at two of the inductions that day — one beginning at 9:45 am and the other at 12:45 pm at the Arie Crown Theater – located on 2301 Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.
- Chief Justice Rita B. Garman will preside over the Fourth Judicial District ceremony at 10:00 am. This ceremony will take place at Hoogland Center for the Arts located at 420 South Sixth Street in Springfield, Illinois.
- Justice Robert R. Thomas, Commission Liaison, will preside over the Second Judicial District ceremony. This admissions ceremony will begin at 10:00 am and will be held at Hemmens Memorial Building in the Elgin Civic Center Plaza located at 150 Dexter Court in Elgin, Illinois.
- Justice Thomas L. Kilbride will preside over the Third Judicial District ceremony. The program will start at 11:00 am will take place at the I-Wireless Center located at 1201 River Drive in Moline, Illinois.
- Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier will preside over the Fifth Judicial District ceremony held at the Southern Illinois University School of Law Auditorium in Carbondale, Illinois at 2:00 pm.
For more information about the Bar Admission Ceremonies and other Commission on Professionalism news, contact Director of Communications to the Illinois Supreme Court, Joseph Tybor, at 312.793.2323 or Senior Communications Specialist to the Illinois Supreme Court, Dawn Frison Cook, at 312.793.0870